How to offset a transparency animation in Tagtool for iPad

I found an old tutorial video that never made it into public.
It shows very quick and dirty how to offset transparency animations.

Feel free to ask any questions if you get lost somewhere.

9 Likes

I tried this numerous times. I’m not sure what to do after grouping the layers and recording the grouped transparency. Can you help?

@toddfadel So you select all layers and record a transparency animation - so all layers fade in and out at the same time. Next step is to change the speed of all layers to maximum - now all fade in and out a little bit faster (1:36).

Now the funny part starts, right? So you have each layer selected and everything is yellow. You start to deselect 1 layer from the group and make the others little bit slower, just briefly and change speed back again to maximum (1:42). This is the moment when the transparency animation starts to offset.

In other words - Imagine 10 people walk with the same speed in a row next to each other. Suddenly 9 people walk a little bit slower and fall back just briefly but start to walk with the same speed again. So 1 guy is in front now and 9 guys a little bit behind. Now 8 walk a bit slower and keep up the speed again etc. etc.

Does this help?

2 Likes

I’m going to try it.

I use this trick a lot - and it doesn’t have to be the transparency that is animated and offset. You can create a lot of diferent effects offsetting translations, rotations and scales as well!

5 Likes

@tagtom - would you please elaborate? That video is beautiful!

@toddfadel

sure but it’s quite tricky, I hope I can explain!

I draw all the circles in the same size on the same spot on top of each other, select them and animate them all at the same time. Not grouped, but as individual layers. With one hand I move them on their path scaling them up and down as they come forth and back. With the other hand (while pressing the record button) I move the depth slider down as they come forward and up when they go back. I start the loop behind the bar so I can hide glitches when the loop is not perfect. When I have a good animation (it usually takes a few efforts to get it right) I turn the speed to maximum. Any other speed would be impossible to reproduce once the animation is offset. Now I deselect the first circle and slow the animation down for the remaining layers for a short while and then turn it up to max again. Now they have the same animation but delayed for a few frames. Then I deselect the second circle, delay the others, deselct the third and so on and so forth…

1 Like

this offsetting is offputting. :slight_smile:

Actually, it opens a whole new world to me for this app. And I thought I couldn’t love it MORE!

It’s going to be a challenge for me to devote enough time to practice and learn how to master this technique, but I look forward to it!

2 Likes

Yeah, it definitely opens a new world!! Start practicing with easier examples than this, you’ll get the hang of it in no time!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!!

Yeah we ended up using offset so much that it has become a feature in the new version! Much easier than the old workflow. We realized it even opens up a door to frame-by-frame style animation.

2 Likes

@maki - that’s what I’ve been using with the layers, just recording the layers in front of each other - like this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQvy2YIgQFm/?taken-by=toddfadel and this https://www.instagram.com/p/BPGtj5hgK0f/?taken-by=toddfadel

2 Likes

@toddfadel very cool! Big fan of your faces with voiceover. We’re making sure that this kind of thing will work really well in the new version!

1 Like

Are there videos where people show their hands manipulating the tablet? It would be super helpful and I think worthy of inclusion in the app itself, a series of advanced techniques with annotation and showing of the hand work. Cool stuff.

2 Likes

No videos with the beta yet afaik! But we will definitely make some.

so NOW with the new Tagtool - can someone walk me through this again? Pretend like I’m a complete OFFSETTING NOOB BECAUSE IT’S TRUE… sorry…

1 Like

@toddfadel

Select more than 1 layer with an animation and use 3 finger left/right in the loop bar (where the grey moving bars appear).

Most used with duplicate - create a layer and apply the animation - duplicate couple of times - select all - 3 finger drag left/right -> offset.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes