Batteries!

help! I want to be mobile with my set up and do weekend long projections on the side of a mountain!

But, how in the HECK will i accomplish this without any understanding of what it needed, battery-wise?

I’m so lost.

Todd,

Sorry for answering so late - just came back from a trip to Greece.

Basically you need 2 more things in addition to your usual tagtool setup - a good battery and a pure-sinus converter.

Battery: We usually use deep-cycle batteries. 12 Volts and about 120 Amp hours - the latter means how long you will be able to use it. And it also means how heavy the battery will be.

Pure-Sinus Converter is important to use because of the Projector. It needs a stable conversion.

That´s basically it.

perfect! Thanks!

Hello!!!
I´ve been thinking also to go mobile using a car battery for a long time and I have some idea of the setup, but now I see you need a very specific battery and converter if you don´t want to mess up your projector!

Is there some maths to do to find the right equipment?
I have a 2500 Lumens Epson Projector with the following voltage info:
(the voltage in México is 120V and the frequency is 60 Hz)

I´ve found that the “Optima YELLOWTOP high-performance AGM battery” is ok to use with projectors

My questions are:
1-Which battery model is better for my 2,500 Lumens projector? (thinking to buy a 5000 Lumens projector)
2-How much time it will give me of continuous projection? (which battery specifications will give me more or less time?)
3- How do I calculate the type of Pure Sinus Converter? (is it like this?)
4- What do i need to charge my baterry? , which specifications do i have to look for in the charger?

Thanks for the help, I really need to go out and paint in the streets!

Sorry, for the late response.

1-Which battery model is better for my 2,500 Lumens projector? (thinking to buy a 5000 Lumens projector)

Usually with these Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries you do not need to refill any water and they are easy to recharge. But this is a car battery, not a deep-cycle discharge marine battery if you discharge it by more than 50% or you will shorten its life. If you drain it completely you will shorten its life a lot.

The info above shows the electric details for running the projector (How much max. Volts it needs - it runs on AC - how much max. ampere it needs) But how much Watts does the projector consume? That is the main question - you find this info in the technical spec. of the projector - usually they consume between 300 (for 2000 Lumens) and 500 Watts (for 5000 Lumens)

2-How much time it will give me of continuous projection? (which battery specifications will give me more or less time?)

Example with a 400 Watts Projector:
Your battery energy capacity is 12 volts x 40 amp-hours, for a total of 480 watt-hours. Divide this by 400 watts, and you get 1.2 hours.

On top you need to add the converter that needs power as well and also your power cords. So it´s a lot less in real life. Also when it´s cold outside run time goes down quicker.

3- How do I calculate the type of Pure Sinus Converter? (is it like this?)

The primary job of the pure sinus inverter is to convert the 12 V DC (Direct Current) power from the battery bank to AC (Alternating Current) power needed for the projector. It delivers a clean wave so your equipment does not get damaged, Depends how much power you need in total - there are 500W to 1000W inverters that work fine for most mobile actions.

4- What do i need to charge my baterry? , which specifications do i have to look for in the charger?

A simple car battery charger works fine. The slower you charge the battery, the better.